Quick Skillet Pizza
I call this one the lazy gal pizza. The quickest and easiest way to make a pizza. This has been my go to week-night quarantine dinner, and I'm not mad about it. Trust me, you won't be either. It gives you the freedom to make it as big or small as you want, based on your pan size. I've made this in an XL cast iron, a small egg skillet and almost everything in between. Just make sure that the pan you're using is oven safe!
I always encourage homemade over store bought so you know exactly what is in your food.. BUT, store bought will definitely do the trick here. I will include a quick tomato sauce and pizza dough recipe for those who want it.
Top this baby with whatever you can get your hands on. Get creative and have fun with it. Pesto sauce, Alfredo sauce, tomato sauce, cheese, no cheese, veggie loaded, classic pepperoni.. YOU NAME IT! The recipe I will put below is what you see in the pictures.. My go to: light tomato sauce, chunks of mozzarella cheese, a protein, sliced peppers, finished with parmesan cheese and Ting's Perfect Pasta Seasoning. Mmmm.. too good.
Alriiiight, your turn -
1 pizza dough, homemade or store bought
flour for dusting
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup tomato sauce, or as much as desired, homemade or store bought
about 1/2 cup mozzarella, shredded or sliced (I prefer sliced)
pepperoni or salami
sliced peppers of choice
parmesan for garnish
Ting's Perfect Pasta Seasoning
fresh herbs: basil, parsley, rosemary, thyme
1. Allow pizza dough to come to room temperature. On a floured surface, turn dough out and stretch with fingers or roll out to the size of your pan.
2. Put a tablespoon of olive oil into the pan you are using and carefully transfer dough into pan. Prep all your toppings! Make sure to have all of your ingredients prepped before starting the cooking process, it will help speed this recipe up and avoid burning :)
3. Preheat the broiler in your oven on high. Place your pan over medium-high heat. While over the heat, add your toppings: tomato sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella, sliced peppers. Cook this for about 10-12 minutes, or until the bottom of the dough is browned. Carefully use a spatula to check the bottom of your dough. Once browned, and broiler is preheated, finish the pizza in the oven. This will only take a few minutes (maybe 5-8 minutes), so watch carefully. You want the cheese to be browned and bubbling and the crust to be golden brown.
4. Once your pizza is done, finish with Ting's Perfect Pasta Seasoning, parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, etc. Carefully remove from pan and slice. Serve hot! Enjoy!
Quick Homemade Pizza Dough
1 cup warm water (start with 3/4 and add more if dough is try)
1 teaspoon honey
1 packet of dry active yeast or instant yeast
2 cups flour, bread or all purpose + more for dusting
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil + a little more for bowl
1. Place warm water, honey and yeast into a bowl. Stir and let it sit until foamy. This means the yeast is now active. If using instant yeast, skip this step and just add all ingredients together.
2. Add flour, salt and olive oil to yeast mixture. Mix until a shaggy dough comes together. If using a mixer, knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth. If mixing by hand, turn dough out onto floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes until dough is smooth.
3. Put dough into lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel for anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour. Depends on how much time you have.. :) Now your dough is ready to be stretched to fit your pan.
Quick Homemade Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh or dried herbs, your choice
pinch of salt and pepper - about 1/2 teaspoon each
1 28-oz can of crushed tomatoes
1. In a pan over medium heat, add oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, herbs, salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute until fragrant.
2. Stir in tomatoes, bring to a simmer. Remove from heat, taste and adjust as needed. Now you're ready to put this on your pizza! Option to make ahead and keep this in the refrigerator